Donald E. J. Kilmer, Jr, has been an Adjunct Professor of Law at Lincoln University the Law School since 2001. His course work includes:
• Constitutional Law I & II - Core curriculum taught to 2L and 3L students as a required course.
• Constitutional Adjudication - A survey course about the relationship between the U.S. Constitution, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the other political branches of government. Discussion and course work included how constitutional law gets interpreted, litigated and decided. The course also took up the underlying stories and personalities behind some of the most famous and infamous cases dealing with constitutional law issues.
• Firearms Law - Constitution, Statutes, Regulations – An elective course that covered federal and state laws regulating the "right to keep and bear arms." The course also addressed California’s unique role in shaping modern gun policy, including issues as diverse as domestic violence, mental health, commercial sales, movie props, assault weapons, self-defense and the civil rights movement. The course also covered the significant Supreme Court cases interpreting the Second Amendment and developing cases in the Circuit Courts of Appeal and State Courts.
• Attorney Kilmer has also taught firearm law to fellow members of the California State Bar and the Santa Clara County Bar Association for Continuing Education Credits.
• Attorney Kilmer also testified as a witness and was a contributor to the Judicial Council’s Domestic Violence Practice and Procedure Task Force with respect to Firearm Relinquishment and Safe-Keeping Pending Domestic Violence Protective Order Adjudication in California.
His Notable Federal Cases Include:
• Citizens for Free Speech v. Santa Clara Cnty, USDC-NDCA.
• Nordyke v. King, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• Benanti v. Alvarado; USDC-NDCA.
• Madrid, et al., v. City of Los Angeles, et al. ; USDC-CDCA.
• Richards v. Prieto; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
(Consolidated with Peruta v. San Diego)
• Pena v. Lindley; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• Silvester v. Harris; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• Haynie v. Harris; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• Enos v. Lynch; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• Teixeira v. Alameda County; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• N.W. School of Safety v. Ferguson; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
• United States v. Early (Criminal Jury Trial); USDC-EDCA.
Family Law Appellate Work:
• In re Marcus, Case Nos.: H029853, H028332, H038866, H029192.
• In re Marriage of Campell, Case No.: H118618.
• Mendonca v. Mendonca, Case No.: H015936.
• Guasch v. Guasch, Case No.: H036582.
Attorney Kilmer is Licensed to Practice Law in:
• United States Supreme Court
• Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
• United States District (Trial) Courts of California
(Northern, Eastern & Central)
• All California Trial and Appellate Courts
Military Service in the United States Naval Reserve from 1978 - 1984.
Automotive Service Technician from 1985 - 1997 and inactive member (good standing) of Machinist Lodge Local 1101.